I have been hosting an unwanted viral guest in my body this week. It’s a mean one. In addition to resting and drinking lots of tea, water, and lemonade, I have been focusing on eating mainly fruits, veggies, and… frozen yogurt.
Vitamin C (bell peppers) and Beta Carotene (sweet potatoes and carrots) are some key weapons in my “get better” battle.
Here is a scrumptious way to boost your immune system with deliciousness:
Roasted Veggie Salad (serves 2):
1. chop 1 large sweet potato, and 2 large carrots. Coat thinly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt/pepper.
2. roast sweet potatoes and carrots on baking sheet at 425F, about 5 minutes.
3. add 2-3 cloves garlic (unpeeled) and 1 whole red bell pepper to baking sheet, and continue to roast (about 10 minutes) until garlic is softened and peel is coming off. Carrots and potatoes should be softened, and bell pepper should be browning.
4. remove pan from oven and set aside to cool.
5. slice roasted bell pepper. Peel garlic and mince.
6. toss warm potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic with a handful or so of pine nuts (you can also toast these in the oven!), and fresh basil. You may also want to add more olive oil to dress.
“Get better” Juice:
1. wash 3-5 whole carrots
2. wash and peel 2 whole grapefruits
3. wash and peel 1-2 lemons
4. Run everything through juicer
…Also, since I have trouble doing “nothing” when I rest, I decided to make some almond butter…this time I tried coating the almonds in honey and molasses before roasting. The almonds took a lot less time to become butter in the food processor!
|Honey-and-molasses-roasted almonds (350F for 10-15 minutes)|
|Buttery goodness…I also added a little vanilla and salt.|
The almond butter is great for eating on top of bananas, on toast, in yogurt, or blended into a smoothie or shake!